Here's how to make a low-carb homemade blue cheese dressing in less than 5 minutes. Believe me, this recipe is much better than the store-bought dressing version — it's creamy and insanely flavorful.
The best thing about this keto salad dressing is that it's made of healthy, keto-friendly ingredients. Moreover, you can buy the needed products in almost any grocery store.
This keto blue cheese dressing is very versatile. You can serve it with anything (not just with salads): chicken wings, meatballs, crab cakes, fresh veggies, or pork belly.
Is Blue Cheese Dressing Keto?
Yes, almost all blue cheese dressings are compatible with the keto diet (even some of the store-bought ones).
So you might be wondering, why spend the time and make it by yourself if you can just buy such dressing at a store instead?
The answer's simple: this way, you'll be in charge of what to put into the blue cheese dressing, and you'll know for sure what's in it. So you'll be sure that there are no hidden sugars and soy in it.
For this keto blue cheese dressing recipe, you'll need to prepare less than 10 ingredients. Here's what you need to make it:
- Blue cheese. It is best to use crumbled blue cheese for this recipe. This way, the salad dressing will have more accent on the blue cheese flavor;
- Mayonnaise. You can use either the original mayo that you're used to, or try out Avocado Oil Mayonnaise (personally, I like it more);
- Sour cream. If you want, you can replace this ingredient with more mayo. But even though sour cream adds a bit more carbs to the salad dressing, it is still best to use it (for a more low-carb substitute, you can try adding greek yogurt);
- Milk. It's totally up to you to decide what kind of milk to use (just make sure that it's low in carbs). I usually add plant-based milk instead of whole milk-almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk are all great options;
- Lemon juice. Just a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice can be a real game-changer for this keto blue cheese dressing;
- Worcestershire sauce. Adding this ingredient to your blue cheese dressing is an excellent way of boosting its flavor;
- Dill. Chop up some fresh dill and throw it into the salad dressing (if you don't like dill, you can definitely skip this ingredient);
And that's it! Don't forget to add some salt and pepper to adjust the overall taste of this keto dressing.
Also, I don't recommend using heavy cream instead of milk since it'll increase the recipe's calories. And if you want it to have a garlicky flavor, feel free to add some minced garlic or garlic powder.
How to Make Low Carb Blue Cheese Dressing
So you've gathered all the necessary ingredients, what next?
Luckily, this blue cheese dressing recipe requires no cooking, so all that you'll need to do to make it is mix its ingredients. So, take a medium bowl, add the blue cheese, mayo, sour cream, milk, Worcestershire sauce, chopped dill, salt, pepper, and thoroughly stir everything together.
To make sure that the cheese mixes well with the other ingredients, you can either use a spoon to press the pieces of the cheese against the side of the bowl or blend the ingredients together with an immersion blender.
And here's one more tip: if the dressing seems too thick, add some more milk (or water), and mix again until you reach the desired consistency.
What Goes Best With Blue Cheese Dressing?
Well, as you might already know, blue cheese dressing tastes amazing with some fresh salad and veggies (cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and bell peppers). Or, if you're in a hurry, you can use it as a dipping sauce for vegetables or steamed cauliflower.
Here are a few other delicious ideas:
- Pour the blue cheese dressing over this incredible oven-roasted keto pork belly;
- Serve the dressing together with these low carb crab cakes;
- Oh, you won't believe how amazing this dressing tastes with chicken (try serving it with these keto chicken fritters);
- Make these cheese-stuffed meatballs, and instead of using tomato paste, pour this blue cheese dressing over them.
You can store this keto blue cheese dressing in an airtight container or a jar in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Also, keep in mind that it's best not to freeze this dressing since it's made mostly out of dairy, and dairy doesn't freeze well.
Keto Blue Cheese Dressing
- 2 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 5 tbsp sour cream
- 1/12 cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dill chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Take a medium bowl.
- Place all of the ingredients inside the bowl: blue cheese crumbles, mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chopped dill, salt, and pepper.
- Using a spoon or an immersion blender, mix everything together until you get the desired consistency.