Ancient Egyptians were making a basic type of chicken pie before 2000BC. The Brits took this recipe and developed the classic chicken mushroom leek pie. It's an easy-to-make dinner that’s a delicious combination of crispy puff pastry and creamy chicken filling.
Chicken Mushroom and Leek Pie
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 leeks sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thighs diced
- 1 splash Maggi Seasoning
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp tarragon chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 392°F (200°C).
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high then add the onions, mushrooms and leeks. Once they’ve turned soft, add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fry the chicken until the sides are browned. Transfer the meat to a dish and set it aside. It’s okay if the center is still pink.
- Melt the butter in the skillet, and then sprinkle in the flour. Mix until combined then pour in the stock. Stir frequently until the liquid thickens then add the cream, tarragon, chicken, seasoning, and cooked vegetables. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Layer the bottom of individual pie tins (or a family tin) with puff pastry then pour the chicken filling in. Cover with another layer of pastry and crimp the edges together using your fingers.
- Trim the edges with a knife before brushing with egg wash. Slice a hole in the pie’s center to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry turns golden brown. Allow to cool a few minutes then serve with your favorite sauce.
Making the pie filling takes four simple steps:
Step 1: Saute the vegetables then set aside.
Step 2: Fry the chicken until it's close to cooked, then set aside.
Step 3: Make bechamel sauce with flour, butter, stock, and cream.
Step 4: Combine everything and make the pies!
Table of Contents
Tips for making a perfect chicken, leek, mushroom pie
Chicken meat: Your best option is to use chicken thighs as they are higher in fat and won’t turn dry. For a healthier option, breasts will also work, but be careful not to overcook.
Mushrooms: Choose your favorite type of mushroom for this pie. Chestnut or button are tasty, easy to find choices.
Commonly asked questions
Can I bake pies with pastry on the bottom as well as the top?
The quickest way to make a chicken, mushroom, and leek pie is to only cover the top with pastry. If you want a bottom layer as well, allow extra time for the chicken filling to completely cool before adding to the pie. The hot mixture will make the bottom layer of pastry soggy and unpleasant.
Can I add the ingredients to the pie raw and bake them?
It is important to sauté the vegetables and reduce the sauce before adding to the pie. It helps develop the flavor and ensures the sauce isn’t runny when you pull the pie out of the oven.
How do I store chicken, mushroom, leek pie?
Store a chicken and leek pie in its original pie dish refrigerated for 3-5 days. For best results, cover the pie with aluminum foil.
The pie filling is excellent frozen on its own, but if you’ve already cooked it with the pastry, it’s still okay to freeze.
Making a hearty chicken, mushroom, leek pie is easy and who can resist flakey pastry and a creamy chicken filling? It’s an excellent meal to make on the weekend in advance for those busy mid-week nights. Just heat and eat!