These keto nachos are insanely delicious and can be done in under 45 minutes. And thanks to our homemade crunchy keto chips, you won't be able to tell the difference between these nachos and the real thing.
Besides the fact that these nachos are low carb, they're also gluten and grain-free. The most fascinating thing about this recipe is that one serving of the low-carb nachos has only 6 grams of carbs.
You can make those for a family dinner for everyone to enjoy or even as a fancy lunch to go. Also, you can have lots of fun with your kids assembling these nachos — and you can experiment with the ingredients.
Table of Contents
Are Nachos Keto Friendly?
NO, but with the right tortilla chip recipe and suitable toppings, you can make them keto-friendly. The usual plate of nachos has around 94 g of carbohydrates and about 1000 cal.
I love Mexican food, so it was quite a challenge for me when I realized that I wouldn't be allowed to eat nachos on the keto diet. But luckily, there is a way out. With the right nachos recipe and low-carb tortilla chips, it's possible to eat this dish even when following the low-carb diet.
Best Low Carb Tortilla Chips Recipe
I have tried almost all possible keto-friendly tortilla chips: both store-bought ones and homemade ones. And I must say that almost all of the store-bought tortilla chips are hardly edible.
So I did my best to create a tortilla chip recipe that would taste as close as possible to the real thing, and that would be quick to make. So here's what you'll need to make low carb tortilla chips:
- Almond flour
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cream cheese
Only 3 simple ingredients and about 10 minutes of your time, and you'll have the perfect keto tortilla chips ready for your nachos. If you want to add some more flavor to the tortilla chips, you can do it by adding spices. You can add cayenne pepper, garlic powder, taco seasoning, paprika, etc.
I like to make a few batches of the keto chips and store them in a sealed container. That's quite helpful since whenever I or my husband or kid wants some nachos, I won't have to spend any extra time making the chips.
It's safe to store the chips in a sealed container at room temperature for about a week. If you want to keep them longer, you can store them in your fridge or even freeze them. But they won't be as crispy as before, so it's better not to store them that way.
Homemade Nachos Cheese Sauce
It's also insanely easy to make nachos cheese sauce at home. You'll need only three simple ingredients, and the whole cooking process will take you about a minute or two.
For the cheese sauce, you'll need:
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
So to make it, find a microwave-safe bowl, and place all of the ingredients in it. Then microwave it on high for 30 seconds and then, using a spoon, stir everything. Place it back into the microwave and microwave it for another 30 seconds. And mix it again.
If you notice that the sauce isn't smooth enough or is too thick, you can add an extra tablespoon of heavy cream.
How to Make Keto Nachos
You can add almost anything you want to your keto nachos. Here are the ingredients that I prefer to use:
- Homemade tortilla chips
- Ground beef or ground pork
- Bell pepper
- Green olives
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cheese sauce
I know that many prefer to bake their nachos in the oven before serving. So if you want to do it, you definitely can. But I usually choose to skip the baking part since I like them this way more.
Well, and there's nothing complicated and assembling the keto nachos:
- Just place the tortilla chips on the bottom of your bowl.
- Place the cooked ground beef.
- Sprinkle with all other toppings.
I like to pour the cheese sauce on top of everything. But if you want, you can also serve the sauce in a separate bowl.
There are lots of additional keto-friendly ingredients that you can also add to your nachos. However, keep in mind that if you choose to add some of the ingredients from this list, make sure to count the extra calories and carbs that it adds to the recipe.
Here's what you can also add to your keto nachos:
- Jalapeno peppers
- Sour cream
- Shredded chicken
When it comes to choosing the spices and seasonings for the nachos, let your fantasy run wild.
Keto Nachos (Tortilla Chips Recipe Included!)
For the keto tortilla chips:
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
For the nachos:
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- ½ piece bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup green olives sliced
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt, red pepper flakes, cumin, ground black pepper, taco seasoning optional
For the cheese sauce:
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 5 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 pinch salt
- Bake the tortilla chips. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the mozzarella cheese together with the cream cheese in a microwave, then when it's melted, add the almond flour and form the dough. Roll out the dough until it's thin (about ⅛ inch thick) using a rolling pin. Cut the dough into triangles and place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake them for about 8-10 minutes (until the tortilla chips are golden).
- Make the sauce. Place all ingredients into a microwave-safe bowl: cream cheese, heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and salt. Microwave it on high for 30 seconds, remove the bowl, stir, and microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir again. If the sauce is too thick, add one more tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat for about 15 minutes (until fully cooked). Take a large flat bowl and place the tortillas on the bottom. Then put the cooked ground beef, sprinkle with onion, bell pepper, green olives, and cheese. Pour the cheese sauce on top of everything.