What can be more comforting than a bowl of chicken soup for lunch? This keto Instant Pot chicken soup recipe has it all: meat, veggies, and the perfect blend of spices. But more importantly, each serving contains less than 5 grams of carbs.
This noodle-free soup is keto-friendly, paleo, whole30, and can be made using an Instant Pot cooker in just 35 minutes. You might think that you’ll need too many ingredients to make this low-carb soup, but all of them are pretty basic, and thanks to the Instant Pot cooker, the overall cooking process is insanely simple.
Since this keto chicken soup is low-carb, it has no noodles or rice in it. Instead, it is loaded with veggies, tender chicken, and an incredible flavor. So, you won’t even miss the noodles!
Table of Contents
Here’s What You’ll Need
When I said that this keto soup is easy to make, I wasn’t lying. Don’t be frightened by the long list of ingredients; yes, there's a lot of them, but they are all simple ingredients. Also, the cooking process is incredibly straightforward, thanks to the Instant Pot.
So, here are the required ingredients:
- Chicken breast. If you prefer, you can use chicken thighs, chicken legs, or even pork or beef instead. Just keep in mind that changing any of the ingredients will make the soup contain a little more calories than the recipe card says.
- Chicken broth. You can use either a store-bought one or make the broth yourself. It’s quite easy to make—simply cook your chicken in the Instant Pot on high pressure in 7-9 cups of water.
- Veggies. My all-time favorite vegetables to add when making soup are chopped carrots, onions, celery, and green beans.
- Garlic. This ingredient does a great job of enhancing the overall taste of this keto soup.
- Olive oil. You’ll need some oil to fry the veggies in before adding the chicken broth.
- Spices and herbs. There is nothing that would taste better than some rosemary and pepper flakes in a soup. Oh, and don’t forget the bay leaves.
You can mix and match any veggies and spices that you like the most when making this low-carb chicken soup.
Also, you can adjust the number of ingredients while making the soup. For example, if you want to cut down on carbs even more, you can add just half of a carrot instead of a whole one. Or, if you don’t like celery in a soup, you can skip this ingredient completely.
If you want to experiment a bit with your keto soup, here are some ingredients that you can add to it:
If you’re missing noodles badly, you can also add some keto-friendly pasta. My favorite one is the Palmini Low Carb Angel Hair. It is low-carb, gluten-free, and sugar-free, making it a perfect option.
If you’ve never tried cooking keto soup using an Instant Pot before, here are some tips that will help you make sure that everything goes as it should:
- Sauté your veggies. You’ll need to use the Sauté mode on your Instant Pot to roast the veggies before cooking the soup slightly. This will seal their flavor and make the soup taste even better. Of course, you can skip this step if you’re in a hurry, but then the soup will not taste its best.
- Don’t open the lid while cooking the soup. This will release air, and it’ll take you longer to cook the soup.
- Allow your Instant Pot to release pressure naturally. You’ll need to cook the keto chicken soup on Sauté mode for 15 minutes. After that, you’ll need to wait a bit for the pressure to release naturally. Only after that should you release the pressure completely.
You can store this low-carb chicken soup in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When you wish to serve it, simply pour some of the soup into a bowl and reheat it in the microwave.
Also, it’s very easy to freeze this soup. If you’ve never tried it, I recommend doing so. You’ll only need to pour the soup in a zipper bag, place it in the freezer, and that’s it. You can keep it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
How to Serve
I prefer to serve this keto chicken soup the traditional way—topped off with some freshly chopped parsley. Since this soup isn’t high in calories, you can make your lunch more filling by adding a slice of low-carb feta bread to go with the soup.
Keto Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 7-9 cups chicken broth homemade
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3 oz green beans
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp pepper flakes optional
- ½ tsp dried rosemary optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Place the chicken breasts and bay leaves in your Instant Pot. Pour in 7-9 cups of water, close the lid, seal the valve, and choose the Pressure Cook mode and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure. Take out the cooked chicken breasts and shred them using two forks. Pour the chicken broth into a separate cooking pot.
- Pour the olive oil and turn on the Sauté mode on your Instant Pot. Throw in the chopped carrots, onions, celery stalks, and green beans. Cook and occasionally stir for about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, shredded chicken, pepper flakes, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the previously made chicken broth and close the lid. Set the Soup mode and cook for 15 minutes. After the air has completely naturally released, you can remove the lid.
- Add chopped fresh parsley and serve.
Leave a Reply