Missing those delicious sugary gummy bears on keto? Then don't just sit there! Here's the ideal keto gummy bears recipe that calls for only 4 ingredients and requires only 35 minutes of your time (most of the time you'll spend waiting for the gummies to cool down).
It's quite hard to find sugar-free and, at the same time, low-carb gummy bears in a store. Therefore, it is best to make them by yourself. Moreover, you can turn the candy-making process into a game with your kids (trust me, they love making them).
Also, you can make a batch of these keto sugar-free gummy bears of different flavors and freeze them. This way, the gummies will stay good for up to 3 months. So you'll be able to always have delicious keto candy ready whenever you need it.
Table of Contents
Are Gummy Bears Keto Friendly?
No, unfortunately, most of the store-bought gummy bears have around 34 grams of carbs per serving, which makes them not compatible with the keto diet. Moreover, such gummy bears are loaded with sugar; therefore, they're not healthy as well.
But luckily, there is a way to make keto-friendly gummy bears at home. Of course, they'll taste a bit different, but basically, they're the same thing. And the best thing about them is that they have 0 grams of carbs and are completely sugar-free.
These keto gummy bears are made of easy-to-find and healthy ingredients. There is no sugar in them, and they are based on gelatin. If you want, you can definitely substitute it with agar-agar powder (but the texture of the gummy bears won't be the same as when made with gelatin).
For these low-carb gummy bears, you'll need to prepare only 4 ingredients:
- Sugar-free jello mix
- Unflavored gelatin
- Monk fruit sweetener (optional)
You'll need one gelatin envelope per one sugar-free jello mix (3 oz). So if you want to make keto gummy bears of different flavors, you should get different jello mixes.
To make the keto gummies taste more like the original ones, you should try adding some lemon juice or vitamin C powder to the gummy bear liquid.
Adding sugar substitute to this recipe is optional since the jello mix already offers lots of flavors. But if you want, you can definitely add some monk fruit, erythritol, stevia, or any other sweetener.
How to Make Low Carb Gummy Bears
Besides the ingredients, you'll also need to get a gummy bear mold. I got a pack of gummy bear molds to make three gummy bear flavors at the same time. Also, it comes together with a dropper to move the gummy bear liquid into the mold.
Once you have all the needed things, do the following:
- Prepare the gummy bear liquid. In a medium bowl, combine together the jello mix, gelatin, and sweetener. Then pour in the boiling water and mix it thoroughly until everything gets fully dissolved.
- Transfer the liquid into the gummy bear molds. Use the dropper to fill each of the gummy bear spaces in the mold.
- Let the gummy bears stiffen up. You can either place them in your refrigerator for an hour or in your freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the gummy bears. Then once they are hard, remove each of the gummy bears from the candy mold.
If you noticed that the gummy bear liquid isn't fully dissolved, you should pour everything into a small saucepan and place the mixture over medium heat. Stir the liquid and wait for it to dissolve completely.
That's it! Now you know how to make keto and sugar-free gummy bears at home.
P.S. If you have younger kids, you can turn this gummy bear-making process into a fun activity. My three-year-old loves making these with me and asks almost every day to make some more.
Even though these gummy bears are low-carb candy, they should be kept in a refrigerator all the time. They will stay fresh for up to 5-7 days.
If you want these keto gummy bears to stay fresh for longer, you can place them in a zipper bag and move them into the freezer. You can keep them this way for up to 3 months.
Keto Gummy Bears
- 3 oz sugar-free jello mix 1 package
- 1 envelope gelatin
- ⅓ cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp monk fruit sweetener optional
- In a mixing bowl, add the jello mix, gelatin, and monk fruit (optional). Mix them together.
- Pour boiling water into the bowl and whisk thoroughly (until everything dissolves).
- Using a dropper, add some of the liquid into each gummy bear mold.
- Place the mold into the freezer for 30 minutes. Then take the mold out of the freezer and remove the gummy bears from the mold.