With this keto cheese shakshuka, you can be sure that you’ll have a delicious start to a busy day. It’s savory, cheesy, spicy, and low-carb; what more can you ask for from a keto breakfast?
Even if you feel like you’ve had enough eggs for breakfast, this meal won’t make you feel that way! The veggies and tomato paste will change the way you think of having eggs for breakfast.
And the cheese, so much cheese… It will make sure that you get the needed energy up till your lunch hour. So, read on to find out more about this meal, how to cook it, and tips on making it perfect from the first time.
Table of Contents
What Is a Shakshuka?
You may think, what can be simpler than eggs with tomatoes? Well, shakshuka is more than that. It’s a traditional Israeli meal that’s extremely popular there. Almost every family has its own recipe of a shakshuka.
I came across this type of breakfast only recently and fell in love with it from the very first bite. It turned out to be something quite similar to the usual poached eggs but with much more flavor. The basic ingredients that you’ll need for a shakshuka are eggs, tomatoes, bell pepper, tomato paste, garlic, and onion.
I had to change the recipe a bit to make it as keto-friendly as possible. By adding olive oil, and two kinds of cheese, I personalized the recipe to my taste. Also, by adding smoked paprika or cayenne pepper, you can make a different flavor of the keto shakshuka every time.
How to Make a Keto Shakshuka
There’s not much that can go wrong when making a keto shakshuka for breakfast. Just follow the instructions listed in the recipe card, and you’ll do just fine.
You can cook the dish in two ways: on a skillet or in the oven. I usually go with the first option, but the second one is equally great. If you don’t have the time to stand over the skillet for 10 minutes to ensure that nothing gets burnt, you can make the keto shakshuka in the oven.
Just preheat your oven to 350 F and prepare a baking pan. Get a piece of parchment paper and place it on the bottom of the pan. Throw in all of the ingredients, and crack the eggs. Cover with foil and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Take it out and add the mozzarella cheese on top and bake for a couple more minutes so the cheese can melt.
Tips For the Best Shakshuka
Here are some tips that I’ve learned from the many times that I’ve cooked the shakshuka for breakfast:
- Add red chili flakes. This adds heat to the dish, which my family and I really like.
- Experiment with the cheese types. For this recipe, I chose feta and mozzarella cheese. But you can go with any keto-friendly cheese that you prefer — cheddar, Colby jack, cottage cheese, brie, or even blue cheese.
- Smoked paprika. If you love this spice, feel free to add it here. Eggs with a pinch of smoked paprika turn into something quite different from the ordinary eggs that you might be used to.
- Don’t overcook it. Depending on how you like the egg yolks to be, you should choose for how long you should cook the shakshuka. If you want them runny, then 8 minutes will be more than enough.
- Use a lid. Cover the skillet with a lid for the eggs to cook faster.
Ways to Serve It
The hardest part for me when following the keto diet is not eating bread. It was my ultimate option for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks. I could even eat pasta with bread. But since I started my keto journey, I stopped eating the usual bread. Since there are some keto-friendly bread options in stores, I occasionally buy those and enjoy them with my meals.
The same applies to this keto breakfast. I usually serve it just with one or two slices of my favorite keto bread toasted. And since there can never be too many veggies, I add some steamed or fresh veggies to the meal.
How to Store It
Unfortunately, it’s impossible to freeze this meal. But since it only takes you 20 minutes to make such a breakfast, you won’t need to meal prep it.
It also isn’t recommended to store it in the refrigerator. It’s best to cook a fresh shakshuka every time you want to eat it. If you do have leftovers, make sure that you keep them in the fridge for no more than one day.
Keto Cheesy Shakshuka
- 3 large eggs
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tbsp bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2.5 oz feta cheese chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt, pepper, herbs, and spices to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, fry the chopped tomato, onion, garlic, and bell pepper for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the skillet, ¼ cup water, feta cheese, herbs, and spices. Mix everything together.
- Place the heat on low. Crack the eggs into the skillet and cover with a lid. Cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs.
- When almost ready, place the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each egg, cover with a lid, and cook for two more minutes.
- Let it cool down a bit before serving.
Leave a Reply