Citrus, Spinach, and Other Superfoods Come Together To Create The Green Clean: An Immunity Boosting Juice Treat.
As a fitness instructor, mom, and track coach, I've been at the helm of my Breville juicer for years. I've made some great juices over the years — and plenty of not so great ones, as well. This immunity-boosting juice recipe — dubbed The Green Clean — is one that I go back to time and again, whether I've overdone it with weekend treats and need to get some nutrients into my system or simply want to keep my immune system strong during cold/flu (and COVID-19) season.
This recipe isn't overly complicated — you'll be able to find everything you'll need to create this immune boosting juice in a standard grocery store. Prep is easy (you can toss everything but the citrus straight into your juicer), and if you're anything like me and clients I've shared this recipe with, you'll feel the energizing effects shortly after you finish a glass of this bright green goodness.
Table of Contents
Immunity-Boosting Juice Ingredients
Now more than ever, it's important to keep your immune system strong, and immunity boosting juices can help. Cold weather always leaves the body more susceptible to germs, and in the wake of the pandemic, it's essential that you give your immune system a fighting chance.
- Ginger: It's a double-whammy: ginger is a powerful antioxidant and has strong anti inflammatory properties. Both test-tube and animal studies show that ginger has the power to calm inflammation associated with chronic illness. Inflammation is the enemy of the immune system, and drinking fresh ginger juice can enhance your immune system's response when it's time to put up a fight. Ginger also has powerful antiviral properties. In the event that you get struck with a virus, having a buildup of ginger in your system (as well as continuing to consume ginger regularly) may help you get better faster.
- Turmeric: You've probably heard that turmeric is awesome for depression, memory, and even as a protective agent against cancer — it's no surprise that this golden spice has great benefits for the immune system as well. A recent study showed that curcumin (the component of turmeric that provides its golden hue) works to modulate components of the immune system that fight disease.
- Lemon: In addition to adding a nice sour zing to this juice, lemons also may help to activate the immune system's natural killer cells, mobilizing your body's internal army when an unwelcome invader (in the form of bacteria or a virus) manages to break in.
- Oranges: Oranges are delicious, packed with immune-system-boosting vitamin C, and add a delicious sweetness to any green juice. The vitamin C found in oranges (and other citrus fruits) can lower blood pressure and cortisol, enhance collagen production, and fight illness.
- Spinach: Just like citrus fruits, this vegetable packs a nice punch of vitamin C — but that's not the only reason this superfood is a valuable addition to your immunity-boosting routine. This leafy green is also loaded with beta-carotene and antioxidants, both of which may increase the immune system's ability to fight infection. Bonus points for using spinach in juice instead of cooking it to death: this veggie is at its most potent when consumed raw.
- Green apples: The perfect mix of sour and sweet, green apples don't just add a delicious kick to your immunity-boosting juice — they're also associated with a decrease in bronchial sensitivity, helping you to get better faster in the event that you come down with a respiratory illness.
Creating a new juice always takes some trial and error. When I began building this immune system booster, I played around with different citrus options quite a bit (even adding grapefruit once — a little too sour for my tastes). It took me awhile to land on this perfect blend of fruits and veggies. Let's take a look at how each ingredient gives you the immunity boost you need.
Next, let's take a look at exactly what you need to do to create your own perfect Green Clean.
Green Juice To Boost Your Immune System Recipe
- 1 inch piece ginger root
- 1 inch piece turmeric root
- 1 orange or two clementines
- 2 c spinach leaves
- 2 green apples you can cut one, if you watching sugar levels
- Peel the orange(s), and slice the peel off of the lemon. Depending on the capability of your juicer, you may need to core the apples. Introduce the ingredients into the juicer one at a time, using the high-speed juicing option for all items except spinach (always use low-speed for leafy greens). Garnish with a slice of lemon if you like, drink immediately. The sooner you consume your juice, the better it will taste, and the more nutrients it will retain. If you can't drink your juice right away, or if you want to double the recipe and save a serving for later, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Leave a Reply