This sugar-free keto simple syrup is low-carb, easy to make, and tastes even better than the usual sugary simple syrup from the store.
All you need to prepare it is four ingredients and less than five minutes of your free time. You can slightly adjust the recipe according to your preferences and experiment with different sweeteners to find the one that you like the most.
Moreover, this sugar-free simple syrup is quite versatile. The ways you can use this keto syrup aren't limited to cocktails only. You can also add it to iced or hot teas and coffees, fruit salads, or even use it to make sorbet or cake.
Table of Contents
Is It Okay to Have Sugar Free Syrup on Keto?
If you make sugar-free syrup using this recipe, then you can definitely enjoy it even on a keto diet (for more details on its nutritional information, scroll to the bottom of this page). It's a copycat of the traditional simple syrup, only made in a healthy and low-carb way. However, regular sugar simple syrup isn't a good option at all since it is made of sugar, and sugar is a prohibited product when living the keto lifestyle.
Even if you find a low-carb simple syrup alternative at the store, double-check the label before purchasing it because many such syrups contain an abundance of unnecessary and sometimes harmful ingredients.
Keto Simple Syrup Ingredients
You won't believe it, but you need only four ingredients to make this keto sugar syrup. And depending on what sweetener you choose, the results of your making this sugar-free simple syrup can vary greatly.
Here's what you should prepare to make this sugar-free keto simple syrup recipe:
- Water: this is the basis for your simple syrup. You can't replace it with any other ingredient.
- Sweetener: I prefer to use powdered sweetener over granulated sweetener since this way, it dissolves in the water faster and doesn't form any clumps. You can choose any type of sugar substitute that you like (just make sure that it is a low-carb sweetener type). My all-time favorite is the monk fruit sweetener in the powdered form. But if you want to choose a different one, you can try to use stevia or erythritol.
- Xanthan gum: you'll need just a bit of xanthan gum to thicken your sugar-free keto simple syrup. But it will become thicker even without this ingredient, so it depends on what type of thickness you prefer for your simple syrup to have.
- Salt: just to make this syrup more tolerable and tastier, you need to add just a pinch of salt to it.
How to Make Low-Carb Simple Syrup
So, you've gathered the needed ingredients for this sugar-free and low-carb simple syrup. What's next? Luckily, the process of making it is as simple as the ingredients required for the recipe.
Here's what the overall process of making this sugar-free simple syrup looks like:
- Prepare a small saucepan.
- Add water, sweetener, and salt to the saucepan and stir.
- Place it over low heat and stir occasionally.
- Once the syrup is simmering, add the xanthan gum and stir until it dissolves.
In general, it takes around 3-5 minutes for the sauce to be prepared. If it turns out that the xanthan gum forms clumps in the syrup, don't panic. It doesn't mean that you did anything wrong. All you need to do in such a situation is pass the syrup through a sieve to clean it out from the xanthan gum clumps.
Also, when the simple syrup is ready, wait for it to cool completely before pouring it into a container or bottle.
Ways to Use Keto Simple Syrup
This sugar-free keto simple syrup is insanely versatile, meaning that you can add it to a lot of recipes and beverages. Here are a few ideas where you can use this syrup:
- Cocktails (for example, for making a keto Margarita)
- Tea and iced tea
- Coffee and iced coffee (keto Frappuccino, for instance)
- Keto cake
- Keto pancakes
- Homemade ice cream
- Fruit salads (or drizzling it over this low-carb fruit pizza)
You can transfer the sugar-free keto simple syrup into a storage container or a bottle only after it is completely cool. Just make sure that it is a sealed container and then place it in the refrigerator. It's possible to store this syrup this way for up to 2-3 months.
If you want, you can freeze this sugar-free syrup instead. All you need to do for that is simply place the container with your syrup in the freezer. This way, it will last up to around half a year.
Sugar-Free Keto Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup monkfruit powdered sweetener
- ¼ tsp xantham gum
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, add the water, sweetener, and salt.
- Place the saucepan over low heat and let the mixture simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the xanthan gum and whisk the mixture until it dissolves (if there are clumps of xanthan gum, pass the syrup through a sieve).
- Wait until the syrup cools down, and only then pour it into an appropriate storage container.