Table of Contents
This recipe is part of our Christmas Guide which is full of useful tips and resources to make hosting dinner on Christmas Day a success.
Mushrooms are available all year round so they're an excellent choice for Christmas dinner. Paired with puff pastry, they create tarts that are flavorsome and an ideal size for Xmas entree.
Simple Mushroom Tarts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow onion sliced thinly
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic chopped finely
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan or Cotija cheese grated
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 2 tsp parsley chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat butter in a large skillet on medium-low heat and then add the onion and cook for about 20 minutes until caramelized.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 15 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream cheese and grated cheese and continue cooking until the cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Unroll the pastry into two rectangles and then press the seams together so that they are sealed.
- Cut the rectangle into 12 squares and use them to line the inside of 24 mini muffin cups. Make sure the edges of the squares are over the edge of the muffin cups.
- Spoon the cheesy mushroom mixture into each of the cups then bake for 10-15 minutes until cooked through. The tops should have a golden brown appearance.
- Allow to cool in pan before serving.