Table of Contents
This recipe is part of our Christmas Guide which is full of useful tips and resources to make hosting dinner on Christmas Day a success.
Previously an on-trend entree back in the '70s and '80s, shrimp cocktails (aka prawn cocktails) have made their comeback in recent years. A fun dish that is fun to eat, yet super simple to make. This is an excellent Christmas dish thanks to the speed at which you can make them.
The secret to a good shrimp cocktail is choosing the best possible shrimps available. Freshness is essential. Although the frozen ones are fine for paella and risotto, don't use them for this recipe.
If you hate peeling and deveining shrimps then make your life easier by getting one of these tools: the Shrimp Deveiner Tool is available on Amazon. It's a premium kitchen tool that works like a charm!
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp horseradish
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce thinly sliced
- 2 pounds large shrimp peeled
- Using a whisk, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, lemon juice and ketchup in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the inside of four Martini glasses with lettuce leaves then divide the shrimps so that each glass gets an equal number.
- Scoop sauce over the shrimps in each glass; then garnish with a wedge of lemon.