This recipe is part of our Christmas Guide which is full of useful tips and resources to make hosting dinner on Christmas Day a success.
Those layers are hard to say no to - everyone has a favorite though. Liquor soaked sponge, berries, custard, peaches, Jell-O, they're all good on their own; spectacular when combined!
If you need a dairy free trifle then you can use a dairy free cream by whipping coconut cream and removing the custard from the recipe.
- 3 ½ oz sponge cake
- Jam of your choice
- ⅔ cup Sherry or Marsala
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 pint custard
- 14 oz can peaches
- 3 oz pack of Jell-O
- 1 cup cream, whipped until stiff peaks form
- 1 chocolate bar, grated or crumbled.
- Spread a layer of jam over the sponge and then cut into small cubes. Place half the sponge into the bottom of a trifle bowl. Pour the Sherry or Marsala over the sponge pieces.
- Layer the strawberries on top of the sponge pieces.
- Layer the custard over the strawberries and then top with peaches.
- Add the second layer of sponge cubes then top with Jell-O.
- Spread cream over the top and then garnish with chocolate.
Note: The sponge cake can be replaced with ladyfingers if you prefer.