This keto margarita recipe is the perfect low-carb alternative to the classic all-time favorite margarita cocktail. Thanks to the right ingredients, this margarita turned out even better than the real thing, and it is loaded with flavor despite having absolutely no sugar in it.
If you want a nice refreshing alcoholic drink, you must give this recipe a try. This low-carb margarita is 100% keto-friendly and has only 3 grams of carbs per serving, which makes it the perfect drink for National Margarita Day (Love it!).
And if you want this keto margarita to be even more flavorful, try adding some of the additional ingredients into your cocktail: fresh basil, jalapeno, or strawberries go perfectly with this low-carb margarita recipe.
Table of Contents
Can You Have a Margarita on Keto?
The traditional margarita recipe is definitely not compatible with keto since it is high in carbs and sugary ingredients. One margarita drink usually has around 11 grams of total carbs.
However, there is a way to enjoy a delicious margarita on keto - the secret is to use low-carb and sugar-free ingredients. So you'll need to avoid adding juice or soda to your margarita.
This recipe of keto margarita is perfectly suitable for a low-carb lifestyle since it has only 3 grams of carbs per drink.
What is a Skinny Margarita?
If you're living the keto life and insanely want a margarita, then you definitely can enjoy a guilt-free skinny margarita. It is a low-calorie and low-carb version of the classic margarita recipe. Usually, it is made with tequila, lime juice, sugar-free sparkling water, and sweetener.
Here's What You'll Need
To make this keto margarita, you'll need to prepare a few ingredients. These ingredients can be substituted with similar ones if you want to get a slightly different margarita taste. Here's what you need:
- Tequila. This form of alcohol is low in calories, and, the best part, it is entirely free of carbs. When choosing the tequila brand, make sure to double-check the label and get one that's made with 100 percent blue agave.
- Sugar-free sparkling water. I used the Sparkling Ice orange mango sparkling water this time, but feel free to experiment with this ingredient. But still, I do recommend this brand since it tastes very close to the usual sugary, sparkling water, and there are lots of different flavors.
- Fresh lime juice. Just get a fresh lime and juice it by yourself. It is best not to use store-bought lime juice for a keto margarita.
- Sweetener. It is essential to use not just any sweetener but only the powdered kind. I used the Lakanto powdered monkfruit sweetener. But it's okay to use any other sugar substitute as long as it's low carb (powdered erythritol, for instance).
Aside from the main ingredients, you'll also need some coarse salt (chili lime salt or sea salt)for the margarita glass rim and a few lime wedges to decorate this keto cocktail. Also, don't forget about iced. I love how ice balls look in this low-carb margarita cocktail, which is why I used these ice trays.
And, of course, you'll need a cocktail shaker to make this keto margarita. If you like cocktails as much as I do, you'll definitely see why this stainless steel shaker is an amazing option.
How to Make Keto Margarita
There's nothing complicated in making a skinny and keto-friendly margarita drink. Even if it's your first time making cocktails at home, you'll handle this recipe just fine.
So once you've gathered all the necessary ingredients and prepared your cocktail shaker, you can move on to the fun part. Here's how to make this low-carb margarita:
- Prepare the margarita glass. Just place some coarse salt on a plate, run a lime wedge around the rim of the margarita glass, and dip the glass into the salt to evenly coat the rim with the salt.
- Shake it up. Place the ice, tequila, lime juice, and monk fruit powder into the cocktail shaker. Shake it up for about 10-15 seconds.
- Pour the margarita. Put some ice (or crushed ice if you prefer frozen margarita) into the margarita glass, pour in the margarita mix from the shaker, and add the sugar-free sparkling water.
- Garnish and serve. I like to put a slice of lime on the rim of the margarita glass. But if you want, you can garnish your low-carb margarita drink with almost anything; just let your imagination work.
Serve the drink right away and enjoy.
Boost the Flavor
This keto skinny margarita recipe is very simple and delicious. But if you want to boost its flavor a bit, you can get creative with the additional ingredients. Here's what you can try adding to your keto margarita to add some extra flavor:
- Fresh mint. I know, I know. If you add fresh mint to your keto margarita, it will not taste like the regular margarita, but it will still be insanely delicious. Mint pairs perfectly with lime juice and enhances the flavor of the cocktail.
- Berries. Oh, don't even get me started on how amazingly strawberries or raspberries pair with an ice-cold lime margarita.
- Jalapenos. If you love everything spice, then throw a few jalapeno slices into the cocktail shaker when making this keto margarita.
Homemade Skinny Keto Margarita
- 2 oz tequila
- 2 oz sparkling water sugar-free, orange flavored
- 1 fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp monkfruit sweetener powdered
- lime wedge
- coarse salt
- Prepare the margarita glass by running a lime wedge around the rim. Place some salt on a plate and dip the rim into the salt to evenly coat it.
- Place ice into a cocktail shaker, pour in the tequila, add the lime juice and the monkfruit sweetener. Shake for about 15 seconds.
- Add some additional ice into the glass, pour margarita over the ice, and add the sparkling water. Garnish with a slice of lime and serve.